Thursday 8 May 2014

Chili Chicken Calzone

This was my first ever attempt at making a calzone! I know that this isn't a "traditional" calzone: with tomatoes and cheese but it was fantastic nonetheless.





Chili Chicken Calzone


Makes 2 large or 4 small

600 g chicken breast, cooked and shredded
1/2 Cup sweet chili sauce
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 red chili, sliced
1 red bell pepper
125 g Camembert 
1/2 tsp mixed herbs
2 Tbsp finely grated Parmesan
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp dried parsley


1. Make the pizza base following the directions in the link above (or here). Preheat the oven to 200ºC (390ºF). 

2.Mix together the chicken, chili sauce, balsamic, chili, bell pepper, and mixed herbs together in a bowl.
3. To make two large calzones, split the pizza dough in half, or into quarters to
make four smaller calzone. Roll out each piece into an oval.
4. Place some of the chicken mixture onto each oval dough
and top with a couple of slices of Camembert.

5. Fold the calzones by folding in the top and bottom edges, followed by the two long edges.

6. Top each calzone with some Parmesan, parsley, and garlic. Place on a pizza tray (a regular baking tray is fine too) and bake for about 20 minutes, until golden.



15 comments:

  1. Great idea, our family is Italian and I will say this much anything goes sometimes . I am going to share your recipe with my Grandmother!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Heidy! I feel very honored that you are going to share this with your Grandmother :) I hope you will all enjoy the recipe!

      Delete
  2. This is a great recipe! I love sweet chili sauce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brandi! :) I love sweet chili sauce too, it's my fav!

      Delete
  3. Nicole... My kids would love your calzone! What a fun family dinner! Love your photos too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! :) I think my photography is slowing getting better.

      Delete
  4. Love this! I get so tired of the same ole same ole! This is a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. G'day and yum!
    I saw this at the
    #The Weekend Social #19
    Cheers! Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne! It's great to know how people are finding my recipes! I appreciate that :)

      Delete
  6. I make calzones all the time, but have never used chicken...it would be a good thing to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't had one since high school! You don't see them anywhere here in NZ so they completely slipped my mind so when I thought about them again I thought I'd like to do something different and I loved the result!

      Delete
  7. Mmm, these look so good! My family would love these!

    I want to invite you to come link up to "WOW It's Wednesday" {happening every Wednesday!} http://www.beckycharms.com/2014/05/wow-its-wednesday-no2-link-up-party.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Becky :) I will be sure to remember to link up next week!

      Delete
  8. This looks great, might have to leave the chicken out but will be trying one of these very soon.
    Thanks for sharing at The Weekend Social #19
    Ricki

    ReplyDelete