Friday 23 May 2014

Raspberry and Vanilla Marshmallow Slice

My PhD supervisor gave me a recipe that she had found for a marshmallow slice. I loved the idea so I came up with my own version.

It was my first time making marshmallow and I was surprised by how easy it was! It was actually really fun, although it did start to set a lot quicker than I anticipated which meant I may have made a slight mess but at least I didn't have to wait long at all before I could add the chocolate topping and give this one a taste.



This recipe made so many little pieces of slice that I had enough to share around all over the place. I brought half of it into my office for morning tea, where it was very well received, and left the rest up for grabs on the kitchen bench where it went down equally as well.


Raspberry Vanilla Marshmallow Slice


Makes about 20 pieces

Base:

1 Cup plain flour
1 Cup desiccated coconut
3/4 Cup brown sugar
250 g  (9 oz) plain cookies, processed to a crumb
100 g (3.5 oz) butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla essence

Filling:

1 Cup water
25 g (0.9 oz) gelatin
1 Cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 tsp raspberry essence

Topping:

200 g quality dark chocolate
1 Tbsp neutral oil

1. Preheat oven to 180ºC (355ºF) and line a slice pan with baking paper. Combine all of the base ingredients, press into the base of the prepared tin and bake for 20 minutes, until nice and golden. Set aside to cool.

2. Place all of the ingredients for the marshmallow filling in a saucepan over a medium heat. Bring to the boil, stirring, cool, and beat until fluffy (takes a while but just keep at it!).

3. Tip the filling over the base and refrigerate until set (about an hour).

4. Melt the chocolate with the oil. Stir well and pour over the set marshmallow, return to the refrigerator until set before cutting into squares or slices. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.



5 comments:

  1. wow! just wow! These sound so lovely. Pinning to make these later! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much Debi! I hope you will enjoy them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great. I remember being equally impressed with the simplicity of making marshmallow at home my first time too! I'm excited to give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for stopping over at The Weekend Social at Kitchen Dreaming and sharing your delicious recipe. Hope to see you next week.
    Dina@KitchenDreaming

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marshmallows are on my cooking bucket list - this sounds amazing! Thanks so much for sharing it at the Friday Frenzy! I just shared it on my FB page :) https://www.facebook.com/mostlyfoodandcrafts?ref=hl

    ReplyDelete