Sunday 13 July 2014

Caramel Oat Slice

Emmet and I were going away for the weekend a few weeks ago, leaving our dog behind with our housemates. Ella can be a bit of a handful so I wanted to leave them with something to sweeten them up in case she acted out.



Caramel and rolled oats are a great combinations. This turned out to be reminiscent of both a caramel slice and a crumble dessert.


Caramel Oat Slice


Makes 18 pieces

175 g (6 oz) butter, softened
1/2 Cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 Cup rolled oats
400 g (14 oz) tin of caramel

1. Preheat the oven to 180C (350F) and line a slice pan with baking paper.

2. Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla and mix well.

3. Sift in the flour and baking powder. Mix well to combine. Press 3/4 of the mixture into the base of the prepared pan. Spread the caramel over the top. Stir the oats into the remaining base mixture and crumble over the top of the caramel.

4. Bake for 20 minutes, until the top is golden. Cool in the pan before cutting into slices.

5 comments:

  1. These caramel oat slices sound wonderful. I'll bet your housemates were very grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so inviting Nicole! I think my family would gobble these up in a flash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some very lucky housemates, what a yummy sounding recipe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love caramel and rolled oats together! This is a winner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visiting from Moonlight and Mason Jars link party. I love oats in my baked goods and I can imagine these taste great with the addition of caramel.

    ReplyDelete