Sunday 31 August 2014

Chocolate Overload Cake

A while ago my good friend Michaela from An Affair From The Heart created a fantastic Chocolate Espresso Cake which I instantly loved. My honey had his birthday coming up, of course I had to make him a cake, and of course Michaelas cake was the first thing that came to mind. Here is my adaptation - Chocolate Overload Cake.


I adored this cake. It was easy to make (only one bowl!), and easy to decorate. The cake itself was perfectly chocolaty and deliciously moist. I think this is the kind of cake best described visually, so here are a whole load of photos!



Just one more picture until the recipe! I have to show you the inside too!



Chocolate Overload Cake


Serves 15

3 Cups self raising flour
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp baking soda
200 g butter, softened
3/4 Cup cocoa powder
1/2 Cup Milk
1/2 Cup plain unsweetened yogurt
1/2 Cup boiling hot coffee
3 large eggs

Chocolate Ganache

1 Cup chocolate chips
1/2 Cup cream

To Decorate

2 x 170 g blocks kit kat
1 packet pebbles/smarties/M&Ms
1 packet chocolate buttons


1. Place all of the ingredients for the cake in large bowl, mixer, or food processor. Mix until all ingredients are combined and the butter is incorporated.

2. Preheat the oven to 160C (320F) and grease a 30 cm springform cake tin. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for one hour, until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.

3. Cool the cake completely in the tin. Prepare the ganache by melting the chocolate chips into the cream. Spread over the entire cake (including the sides).

4. Place pieces of kit kat around the the edges of the cake. Pour the pebbles and chocolate buttons into the center. Tie a ribbon around the outside.

14 comments:

  1. Nicole, I would love to sink my teeth into this amazing cake. The presentation is fabulous and looks so good

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic!!!! My boys would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cake looks seriously wickedly delicious.. I am craving a slice right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore this cake, Nicole!! You have seriously out done yourself!! I can't WAIT to try this cake --- so fun and colorful and CHOCOLATY!! Mmmmmm!! Thank you for the mention. I am so happy the blogging universe introduced us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word! This has got to be one of the most beautiful cakes I've seen. So fun and yet so sophisticated at the same time! Pinning for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is wonderful! I know your honey really loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicole your cake looks so festive and delicious. It's my grandsons birthday this week and I think I'm going to make this for him. Thanks so much for sharing this with Foodie Friends Friday Party this weekend. Pinned and will be sharing over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eeeee! Love this- so festive, and chocolate-y, the main requirements for birthday cakes! Thank you for sharing this with us at Treasure Box Tuesday- pinned! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S. scheduled to share on FB this morning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now this is what I call "Calorie" worthy. Chocolate overload is the perfect name too. Thanks for sharing at #theWeekendSocial.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty and sounds delish! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks delicious and so tempting

    ReplyDelete
  13. A fabulous cake indeed Nicole! Thank you for sharing at our party! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete