Sunday 11 January 2015

Thai Green Curry Noodle Soup

I have two favorite types of food to make and eat: Thai and soup. This recipe encompasses both of my favorites into a perfectly delightful meal.


I just adored this soup. It had all the lovely flavors and freshness of Thai cuisine with the comforting warmth of a noodle soup. I was so pleased that this dish was as perfect in the bowl as it was in my head!


This stores and reheats really well in the refrigerator for a couple of days. 


I made this soup not long before we moved out of our old house - I was trying to use up all my perishable ingredients that couldn't go into storage over our holiday. I thought I had lots of egg noodles in the cupboard. Oh was I wrong, I ended up with a mixture of half egg noodles and half 2 minute instant noodles. Still delicious!

Thai Green Curry Noodle Soup


Serves 4

Curry Paste

4 Tbsp Green Curry paste
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 bunch coriander
1 tsp cumin
1 green chili, chopped
1/4 tsp chili powder
1 tsp lemon grass

Broth

450 mL (14 oz) coconut milk
4 cups low sodium chicken stock
400 g (1 lbs) chicken thighs, cubed
1/2 onion, diced
mixed vegetables of your choice (eg beans, peas, bell peppers, mushrooms)
200 g (7 oz) egg noodles (cooked and drained)
lime zest + 2 Tbsp juice
1/4 Cup fish sauce
1 Tbsp brown sugar

1. Make the curry paste by combining all the paste ingredients in a mortar and pestle or food processer. Mix in about 1/4 cup of the coconut milk. Grind or process until it forms a paste.

2. Heat a large saucepan over a medium heat and fry off the curry paste for a couple of minutes, until fragrant.

3. Add the remaining coconut milk, the stock, chicken, onion, and vegetables, Bring to a boil and simmer for about 15-20 minutes, until chicken is cooked.

4. Add the noodles, lime zest and juice, fish sauce, and sugar. Heat and adjust flavors to suit your tastes.

11 comments:

  1. I love Thai food too and especially a good soup, this recipe looks so good. I'll be making this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delicious looking soup; thanks for doing this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a fan of anything Thai. Love the idea of curry noodle soup. Great recipe and great colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a fresh and flavorful soup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This soup looks delicious. I've been making for noodle soups for lunch here. This broth looks amazing and I'll have to borrow it next time I make noodle broth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pinned, Nic. I need to try your version of Thai! Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thai Green Curry Noodle Soup looks amazing- love the ingredients and presentation

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! We just were talking in my house about making Thai Green curry. I've bought the ingredients I've needed and now I see this. We may be making Thai Green Curry tomorrow now instead of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, I LOVE curry anything- this look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the flavors of Thai food and this soup sounds easy enough that I could pull off. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us. With this cold weather stretch ahead of us, I'll be looking to make soups!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Thai soups and your recipe looks so easy to put together. I can't wait to give it a try :-)

    ReplyDelete